Thursday 19 April 2012


My initial thought when researching about packaging and different aspects that would capture a child’s imagination was to create a packaging that is both functional and interesting in appearance. I first thought was to design the box in the shape of an Australian animal or a fruit face to connect the packaging with Australia and health eating.

As I continued to narrow down my ideas I wanted to develop a game that will help children interact with others and learn valuable skills in a fun way. I thought of all the games I played when I was a child and one of my favourites was Pictionary. As many children love art, drawing, acting and crafts I thought this was a good way to develop a packaging that could work with this idea. I developed a character for the game Pirate Lingo to make it more personal and a bit like a storybook in a way with the use of watercolour and drawing, what the game entails. For the Pirate theme I wanted to maybe produce a few different activities or games to make it more interesting and engage the children more.

When I was researching different boxes and templates I wanted to use a design that was easy to open and close, the treasure chest or mailbox shaped box appealed to me. Mainly because of how inviting and welcoming it looked, this is what I wanted to portray through my design. I wanted the design to show how the food is healthy and how its like treasure in a treasure chest. That is where my idea of using the pirate theme came from along with pirates being one of the most common themes that children love.

The light and dark purple as well as red colours of the packaging were chosen because they are harmonious colours that work well together and create a calm feeling that creates a feel of welcoming. The red was chosen to contrast against the purple, so the vittles logo would stand out without creating a clashing feeling or fighting with the colour of the packaging. I chose purple also to flow almost like watercolour to give it a softer feel connecting with the welcoming feel of the packaging.  The waterproof covering of the packaging could be environmentally friendly as I have found research for a new way through the use of sugar cane, which is waterproof.

For the gluten free symbol I wanted to create something simple but a little different in appearance. The shape of the G for gluten was used but I chose to make it look a bit like a smile to show how it is friendly, creates a better feeling and helps those around them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment